Date(s) - 09/12/2013
5:15 pm - 7:15 pm
The Silo City Campus contains the evolved development of the grain industry as it entered the 20th century. From the American Elevator, circa 1906, the first continuously poured, steel reinforced, concrete grain elevator in the world followed by the Perot Elevator, circa 1907. In 1925, the Abell family, of Buffalo, commissioned Marine A. It was the first instance of the silo walls extending to the footers and established a design that has been used in approximately 70 percent of all elevators built since. As there was a minimum of large mechanical equipment at the time, the efforts and ingenuity of mankind can be observed throughout the site.
Directions To Silo City
Take Ohio St. and turn onto Childs St. Gravel parking area halfway down Childs St. Meet nearby at the end of Childs St. Tour is at grade, in and around the Perot, Malthouse, and Marine A Elevator with Jim Watkins ‘Steward of Silo City’. We suggest appropriate footwear for the dirt and stone grounds.
Bookings are closed for this event.